Wednesday 23 July 2014

Character Walk 01 - First Draft

I wanted to do a walk cycle that had a personality to it instead of the standard walk. I filmed video reference of myself doing a proud and obnoxious walk. After a few minutes of walking around getting comfortable I felt like I had some good reference to go on.

Using the standard walk guide from Richard William's "The Animator's Survival Kit" I flipped through frame by frame to find the extremes of the walk.



I tracked the motion of the hips through my walk and saw that I did a little double bounce. The hips would move up between the contact and down pose.


By drawing out the hip motion I could see more clearly what was happening.


I then caricatured these key poses into the Jack rig from animsquad and timed them accordingly in maya.

 Screenshot of how I set up my computer.


After playing around for a few days I have come up with this first draft.


Character Walk 01 from James Saunders on Vimeo.

After some critiques It's clear that it still needs some work.

Updates soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment