Monday 2 November 2015

Key Poses - A Refresh

Found this video the other day and it's really made me look more closely at one of the key principles of animation. Key Poses!

The key poses are the building blocks of any good animation. Ideally one can communicate an entire idea through just the key poses, the storytelling poses. For a great key pose there are several factors that are usually kept in mind. These are usually:


Clear silhouette, Line of action, appeal, squash and stretch, rhythm, tilt and twist, (and many others i'm sure i'm forgetting) Life drawing really hones the eye in on what makes an interesting pose too!!


The video below highlighted just how important good key poses are in communicating a a story clearly:




The Keys: Inside Out from Kyle Kenworthy on Vimeo.


It's made me rethink the way I approach a shot as I have been becoming more reliant on video reference to give me basis of the shot. I think I need to spend more time drawing out the key poses I want as well as figuring out exactly where they lie in the shot too. That way I can be sure I have a really strong base to start animating on from the start.


No comments:

Post a Comment