Monday 29 June 2015

Dialogue Piece - Workflow 02 - Acting and Reference

I decided to pick a sound clip from cancelled BBC sitcom 'Siblings' . It made me laugh and had some cool little qualities to it that I thought would be really fun to animate.

Sound Clip: https://www.dropbox.com/s/60bu9rz72lgq38f/shorter_version.wav?dl=0

The first thing I like to do is just sit and listen to the audio over and over. I tend to get an image in my head of who the character is and the general situation that he's in. (Refer to the acting essential blog post for more acting notes (Acting Essentials) This really helps inform the acting decisions later on.

I try to keep in mind several key points: What's the story? What is the scene objective? Overall objective? Obstacles to the objective? Play an action until an obstacle makes you play a different one.

From here I'll write down the dialogue and work out the general rhythm and timings of the speech. As well as writing down the acting beats:



I'll then put the audio on loop and start filming some video reference as i mouth the dialogue. 

Have a look at this video from AnimSchool where a mentor talks through different ways of approaching video reference:



No comments:

Post a Comment