Friday 5 June 2015

Dog Animation WIP

Been working on this dog animation the past 3 days. Really fancied doing some creature animation with a bit more personality than a vanilla walk cycle.

Dog Getting Up WIP from James Saunders on Vimeo.



I worked off a couple videos as a reference guide:




I began by working in all the major keyframes from the reference. I would then try to keyframe the entire dog on these major keyframes. For the most part this worked and helped me keep my time slider clutter free at this first stage of animation. For the more complicated movement as the dog gets up I did have the break away from this a little bit.

I then checked out how the animation was looking out (not great) and then went back in and started the tailor the animation slightly to how the rig was constructed as well as exaggerating some motion following the animation principles such as overlap and removing twinning.

From here I had an okay base to start working over some more, fixing some feet issues and general mechanics. (I've found the more I paid attention to the mechanics at the beginnning the smoother the animation went). Always checking the graph editor for funny shaped curves.

A quick final go over to smooth some more stuff out and that's just about where i'm at now. 

Check out 3dhit.co.uk for some critique and more personal work

No comments:

Post a Comment